Development and Functions. Organized hydrographic activities in the Adriatic date back to 1860, when Hydrographic Office was established in Trieste. In 1920 the Office moved to Pula, and thereafter under different names continued to relocate along the Adriatic coast: Tivat (1922), Dubrovnik (1923), Split (1929), Hvar (1943), Vis (1944), Monopoli (1944), and finally Split (1944). In 1937 it was named the Hydrographic Institute of the Navy, and as such continued its activity after the Second World War.
After the recognition of Croatia as an independent state, the Croatian Parliament established the National Hydrographic Institute on 10 April 1992, later renamed the State Hydrographic Institute.
Hydrographic Activity Act (Official Gazette No. 68/98, 110/98, 163/03 and 71/14) restructured the Institute as a public institution under the name of Hydrographic Institute of the Republic of Croatia (HHI), effective as from 5 January 2000.
Hydrographic Institute carries out the hydrographic activity of interest to the Republic of Croatia, covering scientific research, development and professional tasks relating to the safety of navigation, hydrographic-geodetic survey of the Adriatic, marine geodesy, construction and production of nautical charts and publications, oceanographic research, submarine geology research, as well as publishing and printing.
The Institute is responsible for the development of navigational safety service in the Adriatic, within the worldwide navigational safety system, and in cooperation with the Ministry of the Sea, Transport and Infrastructure, port authorities, the Croatian Navy, lighthouse authorities, and hydrographic offices of all maritime countries, following the recommendations of:
- International Hydrographic Organization (IHO)
- International Maritime Organization (IMO)
- International Association of Lighthouse Authorities (IALA).
All collected and processed data are stored in the archives of original charts or the HHI database. Cartographic originals of all published charts are also filed in the archives.
Exhibition space of the history of Hydrography exhibits instruments and equipment displaying the working and operation methods in the past period.
Library of the Hydrographic Institute holds about 9000 books, textbooks and periodicals collected over the years, or received from other institutes on exchange basis.
Hydrographic Institute owns two survey vessels (“Hidra” and “Palagruža”) and a small boat, which are designed and equipped for hydrographic surveys.